Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks of all time. I associate it with good times, movies, and the cinema: the magical portal that transports you to different worlds for a couple of hours each time, enough for you to forget about your life and just dream.
It all starts with the smell of freshly made popcorn that hits you right as you walk in. I have always found it difficult to choose between the sweet and the salty but during a time when I lived in Dubai, this choice got much more difficult the moment I discovered a whole new world of popcorn - gourmet popcorn.
I have probably tried every combination there was, from red velvet to coffee to white cheddar, and one thing is certain: I opened up to the idea that there is so much more to flavored popcorn beyond salt, sugar, and caramel. So I decided to make my own.
Here is the recipe for my savory gourmet popcorn I call...CGY! (like CGI, get it?) Seriously, its meaning is not deep, it's just based on its ingredients.
What you need is:
For the popcorn:
1. Popcorn kernels
2. Oil (I use olive oil)
For the flavor:
1. Butter (I use vegan butter)
3. Cayenne Pepper
4. Garlic Powder
5. Nutritional Yeast
I recommend making the popcorn yourself in a saucepan on the stove. You could also use microwavable popcorn but I prefer doing it myself and knowing exactly what goes into it.
To make the popcorn:
1. Put the kernels in a saucepan. The amount will vary based on the size of your pan but it should cover the bottom of it fully.
2. Pour the oil over the kernels so that every kernel is soaking in olive oil. Be careful not to use too much oil but just enough so that the kernels don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Turn the heat to medium-high and cover the saucepan with a lid.
4. Shake the pan from time to time to make sure the kernels cook evenly.
5. When you hear the kernels starting to pop, reduce the heat and wait until you hear that the popping has pretty much stopped.
6. Transfer the popcorn into a bowl.
For the flavor:
1. Turn off the heat and place the saucepan back on the stove.
2. Take some butter and put it in the saucepan to melt. This should only take seconds so be careful not to burn the butter.
3. Pour the melted butter over the popcorn.
4. Sprinkle the four condiments one by one. The ratio of the salt and nutritional yeast to the cayenne pepper and garlic powder should be around 2:1.
5. Cover the bowl with a lid and shake it to coat all the popcorn in the seasoning. 6. Feel free to add more of any of the condiments to taste and enjoy it!
This has become one of my favorite snacks and occasional dinners. It's clean, healthy, vegan, and guilt-free but very satisfying. I hope you give it a try.
If you do, please let me know if you like it! And if you have any other flavor suggestions, feel free to share them below. I would love to try new ones!
Please consider cutting all your meat consumption and even going vegan for the health of our Mother Earth. It's the only home we have.